The Low Test market is massive. If it’s not patches, gels or intramuscular injections then doctors hand out prescriptions for erectile dysfunction pills like candy.
There are problems with this though.
And it’s not just the massive cost. There’s the inconvenience, the possible side effects and the variability in the effectiveness of these remedies.
Step forward natural test boosters. Sadly most of these target the body builder market, but some specialist boosters have been designed specifically to combat low test in older males.
Prime Male is one of those. Let’s get this review started…
How Does It Work?
So, how have Roar Ambition set out the Prime Male formula? What are the standout ingredients and the points to note?
- Generous amounts of great testosterone stimulators like D-Aspartic Acid & vitamin D3
- Plenty of strong estrogen suppressants like vitamin B6, luteolin and boron (which also boosts T)
- Contains Panax ginseng which promotes better blood flow and nitric oxide in the body to help libido or erectile problems
- Includes minerals zinc and magnesium to promote hormone creation and raise free T.
- Added nettle root extract also helps your free testosterone
- The addition of Mucuna Pruriens not only helps T but lowers cortisol (the stress hormone) which blocks testosterone and negatively effects mood
We fully analyze the ingredients and the dosages chosen for Prime Male later in the article. First though … the scores
For reviewers who like to find the flaws that others miss, Prime Male is frustratingly on point.
Estrogen is rising and hurting testosterone, so they include solid natural choices to counter this like vitamin B6 and luteolin. To tip the balance back in the male hormone’s favor there are strong T stimulators like D-Aspartic Acid, nettle root and Mucuna Pruriens.
These are just a few highlights. We’ll take a closer look at the full formula later in the review.
For all its many plus points, Prime Male is asking more than the average for a booster. As it’s only sold from the official website, there’s no chance to shop around for bargains, which is disappointing.
However the fact that it’s only sold in one place can be a positive – you are not going to end up with knock off counterfeit product.
It’s worth remembering too that price and value are two different things. Yes, it’s costly, but you are paying for quality here. If you can budget for Prime Male, it’s definitely a good investment.
All their products are manufactured in an FDA approved facility in line with Good Manufacturing Practices for supplements. The product is made in the US (but shipped from both the US and UK).
The research and reasoning behind the formula can all be explained by established research. There are no proprietary blends so you know exactly what you are getting.
Lots of boosters just let user feedback on sites like Amazon or Bodybuilding.com do the talking, but those reviews often lack detail.
There are videos, photographs and written pieces from guys all around the world. Crucially all of them are in their 30s, 40s, 50s and older. These guys, in many cases were having the same physical and emotional slumps you might be feeling, so it’s great to see real guys get real results. These lads aren’t just cardboard cutouts for marketing purposes.
Interesting to read reviews from men who had side effects with Testosterone Replacement Therapy but positive results with Prime Male. There is a stand-out testimonial from a guy who’s bloodwork saw a major boost in his test following a month of Prime Male.
Former American Footballers Andre Reed & Scott Zolak even throw their weight behind Prime Male. And Dolph Lundgren too. I’m not crazy about celebrity endorsements usually, but sports people are a different caliber. This isn’t the Kardashians we’re talking about here. These guys won’t just pose and pout in front of anything if the price is right. And Dolph used to be a chemical engineer, he’s not just a highly chiseled Scandinavian face.
These guys understand what it’s like to reach their physical peak and pride themselves on staying there. It’s unlikely they’d risk their reputations on a questionable product.
We’ve pulled some of our favorites from the testimonials page for you;
Prime Male was originally developed by Propura Ltd in 2015. The company was bought over by well-known supplements manufacturer Roar Ambition in early 2020. They run a slick operation, from what we understand the product supply chain is unchanged, it is still manufactured in the same way, all that’s changed is that customer support is run by the larger Roar team.
How Do I Take Prime Male?
Users are directed to take 4 servings of 1 capsules daily. This is ideal in striking a balance between ease of use and effectiveness. You can have best booster in the world but if you’re only taking it once or twice, no way it’ll keep T firing all day.
Prime Male Ingredients – In Detail
Called the sunshine vitamin as it’s made when sunlight hits our skin, high levels of D3 cause a boost in testosterone. This is why our beards grow faster in summer than in winter. D3 also helps your immune system and the uptake of calcium, for strong bones. Pime Male makes room for the level of D3 (5000IUs) recently settled on by The Vitamin D Council as the advised daily dose. Well above the 3300UIs seen to get T moving.
D-AA is the amino acid which signals your brain encouraging a bigger supply of vital things like luteinizing hormone – which is crucial to the regulation of the testes. Other important factors for T that D-AA promotes are growth hormone and follicle-stimulating hormone.
Evidence also suggests that D-AA may remove rate limits in T synthesis in the balls, giving us higher levels to use. D-AA is a favourite with body builders, so Prime Male’s levels are less than in a product aimed at muscle builders.
Not everybody realizes that the amount of testosterone in our system isn’t necessarily the amount we’re using. Up to 60% of the hormone can be bound to the protein, sex hormone binding globulin (or SHBG) and unable to be used in the most direct way.
Magnesium helps is to lower our SHGB count freeing up more T and allowing our systems to use it.
B6 is s great choice for a couple of reasons. It triggers androgen receptors, which signals to the balls to start making more T, but also control levels of estrogen in the body. As I mentioned if this is too high T can start to struggle.
B6 does a similar job lowering the hormone prolactin, which is often high in men with low T. If you’re suffering from the dreaded, ‘man boob’ you likely have too much prolactin.
When Prime Male was updated in early 2015 the B6 content was increased 10 fold, which speaks volumes.
Zinc is not something we guys can afford to skimp on. It helps to raise our testosterone by having the brain release crucial things for T production, such as luteinizing hormone. Not only that though, it’s also vital for our overall health. The male prostate requires ten times more zinc than other cells in the body to work properly, for example, so it’s really important.
Ginseng has a long history of use in traditional medicine and has made the jump to modern use. Nitric oxide means better blood flow and therefore better erections. Ginseng also has a positively balances blood sugars however, which controls insulin. T levels can be suffer if insulin gets out of balance, so addressing that is welcome
K2 is found in meats and is important for plasma levels in the body and our testes supply of T. It also acts as a support to D3, allowing it to work more effectively by stopping calcification in the arteries and soft tissue.
This was another choice to be topped up when the recipe was perfected, it’s content doubling.
One of the strongest anti-estrogen ingredients in the natural world. Remember, T & E have a seesaw relationship, so if one is up the other is down.
Luteolin was compared against over 1400 other natural compounds and was found to be the best at reducing female hormone. Estrogen levels start to rise as we age so for Prime Male’s customers this is smart.
Boron is tough to get in the right amounts from your diet. This is a real shame as it’s a mineral with the ability to both raise T and lower estrogen. One study showed that 6mg of boron daily for 2 months saw free testosterone rise 29.5mg.
Studies suggest Mucuna Pruriens boost our production of free testosterone. Not only that though, they are a great source of the amino acid levodopa (L-DOPA) which promotes T and human growth hormone. This bean can also reduce cortisol, the stress hormone which blocks our testosterone. Less stress means higher T and better mood. Sign me up for that.
Nettle Root Extract
Nettle root is another great choice. Remember earlier we spoke about lowering the SHBG to free up more T?
Nettle root has been shown in studies to limit the SHGB, but also has beta-sitosterol which reduces estrogen. It also saw a 15% increase when the recipe was updated.
Black pepper by any other name is just as…peppery? BioPerine is just black pepper to help the body absorb the good stuff.
|Serving Size: 4 capsules
Servings Per Container: 30
|Amount per serving||% Daily Value|
|Vitamin D3||5000 IU||833|
|Vitamin K2 (as Menaquinone 7)||45 mcg||50|
|Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxal 5 phosphate)||7.5 mg||577|
|Magnesium (as magnesium citrate)||100 mg||24|
|Zinc (as zinc citrate)||30 mg||273|
|D-Aspartic Acid Calcium Chelate||1600 mg||**|
|Asian Red Ginseng 4:1 extract (root)||120 mg||**|
|Mucuna Pruriens (seed) Ext. (standardized to 15% levadopa)||300 mg||**|
|Nettle Root 10:1 extract||160 mg||**|
|Boron (as boron amino acid chelate)||5 mg||**|
|** Daily Value Not Established|
1. Can you buy Prime Male in stores?
No, it is only available on the manufacturers website. This is a good thing – it means the product you buy is definitely genuine, there have been no known incidents of fake versions of Prime Male being sold anywhere.
2. Where do I buy Prime Male in the USA?
You buy it the same place everyone else does – on the Prime Male website! If you visit the site from the USA you should automatically be given the price in dollars.
4. Do I need a prescription for Prime Male?
No, it is not a medicine, it is a dietary supplement. However if you have any concerns about your health you should consult a physician.
The over 30s booster market might be a crowded one, but in our opinion Prime Male tops them all. The formula, which is the most important part of any supplement, is second to none. There’s something in there to counteract every unwanted hormone changes as we age.
We’re making Prime Male our gold medal winning test booster, no question. This is currently your best bet for naturally restoring peak T with and all the benefits that brings.
We’ll keep an eye out for challengers, as always, but this effort will take some beating.
Studies Quoted in the Review
- Topo E, Soricelli A, D’Aniello A, Ronsini S, D’Aniello G. The role and molecular mechanism of D-aspartic acid in the release and synthesis of LH and testosterone in humans and rats. Stazione Zoologica Anton Dohrn, Napoli, Italy (2009)
- D’Aniello et al D-Aspartate, a Key Element for the Improvement of Sperm Quality . Advances in Sexual Medicine, Vol. 2 No. 4, 2012, pp. 45-53
- Pilz, S et al. Effect of vitamin D supplementation on testosterone levels in men. Medical University of Graz, Austria (2011)
- Wehr, E et al. Association of vitamin D status with serum androgen levels in men Medical University of Graz, Austria (2010)
- Kilic, M et al. The effect of exhaustion exercise on thyroid hormones and testosterone levels of elite athletes receiving oral zinc. Selçuk University, Konya, Turkey 2016
- Maggio M. et al Magnesium and anabolic hormones in older men Department of Internal Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University of Parma, Parma, Italy (2011)
- Excoffon, L., Guillaume, Y. C. Magnesium effect on testosterone-SHBG association studied by a novel molecular chromatography approach Université de Franche-Comté (2009)
- Symes EK, Bender DA, Bowden JF, Coulson WF. Increased target tissue uptake of, and sensitivity to, testosterone in the vitamin B6 deficient rat 1984
- Bliskind & Bliskind Inactivation of testosterone propionate in the liver during vitamin B complex deficiency. Alteration of the estrogen-androgen equilibrium 1945
- Reay JL, Kennedy DO, Scholey AB. Single doses of Panax ginseng (G115) reduce blood glucose levels and improve cognitive performance during sustained mental activity. Northumbria University, UK (2005)
- Takumi, N et al Dietary vitamin K alleviates the reduction in testosterone production induced by lipopolysaccharide administration in rat testis. Tohoku University, Sendai, Japan (2011)
- Lu DF, Yang LJ, Wang F, Zhang GL. Inhibitory effect of luteolin on estrogen biosynthesis in human ovarian granulosa cells by suppression of aromatase (CYP19) Chengdu Institute of Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Chengdu, China (2012)
- Naghii MR, Mofid M, Asgari AR, Hedayati M, Daneshpour MS. Comparative effects of daily and weekly boron supplementation on plasma steroid hormones and proinflammatory cytokines University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Islamic Republic of Iran. (2010)
- Yamada T, Nakamura J, Murakami M, Okuno Y, Hosokawa S, Matsuo M, Yamada H. Effect of chronic L-dopa administration on serum luteinizing hormone levels in male rats. Environmental Health Science Laboratory, Sumitomo Chemical Co., Ltd., Osaka, Japan (1995)
- Müller T1, Welnic J, Muhlack S. Acute levodopa administration reduces cortisol release in patients with Parkinson’s disease. Department of Neurology, St. Josef Hospital, Ruhr University Bochum, Bochum, Germany (2007)
- Hyryb DJ et al The effect of extracts of the roots of the stinging nettle (Urtica dioica) on the interaction of SHBG with its receptor on human prostatic membranes. St. Luke’s/Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York (1995)